Saturday, August 24, 2013

Kvitova and Monfils progress to their finals

Gael Monfils, of France, returns a shot against Alexandr Dolgopolov, of Ukraine, during a semifinal in the Winston-Salem Open tennis tournament in Winston-Salem, N.C., Friday, Aug. 23, 2013. (CHUCK BURTON/AP)Over in Carolina the final has been decided at the Winston-Salem Open. Local hopes was high with local favourite Sam Querrey being has highest seed left in the draw however the hopes was soon banished thanks to Austrian Jurgen Melzer. In a three setter, Melzer outlast Querrey winning 62 46 63. Quoting the Winston-Salem Journal the former top 10 player Melzer said:-
"I felt like I played really well for one and half sets,” Melzer said. “I broke him in the second, but I kind of lost it a little bit and went a little too passive on my side, and I forgot a little bit about the game plan.”
In the final Melzer will meet Frenchman Gael Monfils who battled to a 7-6 (11/9), 6-3 win over Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov. Monfils was trobled with hip pain during the match and called the trainer on after being 0-3 down in the first set however Monfils was able to regain his form and composure to pull through the match. After the Match Monfils said about the pain he experianced:-
"I had thigh muscle pain which was going to my hip. The trainer told me I was just tight,"


Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic returns a shot to Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic during the New Haven Open on August 23, 2013 in New Haven, Connecticut. Reigning champion Petra Kvitova breezed into her second straight New Haven Open final on Friday, beating fellow Czech Klara Zakopalova 6-0, 6-1 in the semi-finals of the US Open tuneup.At the New Haven Open at Yale it will be a final showdown between Romanias Simona Halep and defending champion Petra Kvitova. Halep who will now be going into her forth WTA final since June edged past former world number one Caroline Wozniacki 62 75. By making the Final Halep is projected to be tantalisingly close to the top 20 at 21. After her matcch she said to USAtoday.com:-"I'll try to do my best to get in top 20, because it's first step," she said. "It's very hard, I know, but I have to keep going my hard work and to try to be in top 20 as soon as possible. "It's my dream."
Meanwhile Kvitova bascially destroyed
Klára Zakopalová 60 61 to signal to the Romanian that she truely means business in her title defence. Quoting Eurosport Kvitova said after the match:-
"It was nice to finally have a two-setter," she said.
"I was asked in a press conference this week if I prefer shorter matches. And I said, 'Of course, I prefer shorter matches but it's not always up to me!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment