Saturday, August 31, 2013

Murray passes first real test, Hewitt roles back the years and Williams enjoy another straight sets win




Andy Murray


Andy Murray's third round encounter with Argentinian world number 81 Leonardo Mayer at a hot Flushing Meadows was a good test to see how the defending champions form was holding up since some disappointing results in the lead up to the US Open. After easing to a 75 61 lead, Murrays momentum was abruptly stopped by Mayer who raced to a 3-0 lead in the third set which gave him enough of a margin to take it 63. However Murray like the champion he his regained focus to easily take the forth set and then the match 61. After the match Murray said
It was a very tough match. We both ran a lot and it was very humid, I’m glad I managed to fight through in the fourth set,’
‘I was serving a little better as the match went on. He’s a big hitter, I had to defend a lot. I think he played some really good tennis. It made for an entertaining match. He’s had quite a few injuries the last few years, he’s a very tough player.’ 

 
The biggest shock of yesterday was 2001 US Open champion Lleyton Hewitts shock five set win over sixth seed Del Potro. The veteran Aussie came back from 2-1 down in the match to enjoy a 64 57 36 76 61 victory over the Wimbledon semi finalist. After the Match Hewitt said :-
'I was pumped up when I won my first-round match because I knew I would be playing Del Potro and it was a great opportunity to play on Ashe.
'I don't know how many years I've got left in me, I keep getting asked that question. I just wanted to get out here and put on a great show.
'A couple of years ago I had a couple of foot surgeries and I didn't know if I would play tennis again. For me to be out here competing, it's a lot of fun. This is why I still play, to have moments like this.'

Moving on to the Women's draw, defending champion Serena Williams dismissed Kazakhstan's Shvedova 63 61 demonstrating her intention to defend the title this year. In the next round Williams faces her Austraillian Open conqueror Sloane Stephens who looked equally convincing in her match win against Jamie Hampton. With a nearly identical score line to Williams Stephens won 61 63. Another convincing performance was Li Na's 62 75 win over Talented young Brit Laura Robson. Li Na served solidly throughout the match and hit shots deep towards the baseline which made it hard for Robson to return. Robson did put up a fight in the second set but Li Na was just too good this time edging to take the match and set 75.


For a full list of all of yesterdays results, go to- http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/fixtures-results/grand-slam/1310/us-open/30-august-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment