Saturday, January 11, 2014

Quick round up – Del Potro dominates Sydney, Isner aces New Zealand and Muguruza follows Pironkova

Juan Martin Del Potro abruptly ended Bernard Tomic's chance of defending his title with a blissful 63 61 win in the final of the Apia International. The packed 10,203 populated Ken Rosewall arena would have been hoping for a more competitive performance from Tomic who produced 20 errors compared to Del Potro's 4. During the 53 minuet hammering, Del Potro produced 21 winners and 8 aces (once of which recorded at a impressive 208km/h). Tomic summarized his performance in today’s match with one suitable quote - “I got killed. There was nothing I could do,"
After the match Del Potro said:-
(To) start the year in this way, it’s very, very positive looking forward for the rest of the season,” he said.
The Australian fans respect me a lot even playing against Bernie. It’s so nice to me playing in front of this atmosphere with this crowd.
It was a really nice, nice week for me … I really enjoying all days here in Sydney, and hopefully I can be here next year.”

 

Meanwhile in New Zealand lightening server John Isner recorded his 8th title after a close two tie breaks win over Lu Yen-hsun. During the match Isner fired 23 aces against Yen-Hsun but the Taiwanese shown great resilience. The final scoreline was a tight 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (9-7) victory for the American which is a mental boost for him considering injury problems he was experiencing last week at the Hopman Cup.

In the Women’s draw emulating Tsvetana Pironkova, world 58 Garbine Muguruza won her first ever tour title to add with her 7 ITF titles after her 64 60 win over Klara Zakopalova. During the match Zakopalova's first and second serve success rate was a dismal 33% and 41%. Muguruza like Pironkova got in to the main draw via qualifying and haven’t dropped a set during the whole week. After her win the new winner said:-
"I can't explain in words how happy I feel,"
"Last year I was injured for six months and it's amazing to be here.
"I won my first doubles title in Hobart last year so I guess I'm in love with Hobart now."



No comments:

Post a Comment